Wednesday, August 24, 2011

WORLD SHAKING

Yesterday, a 5.9 quake hit the East Coast, with its epicentre in Virginia. I have never felt the earth move before and it was a remarkably intense experience. As I have been thinking about it, that quake has become a metaphor for the Fulbright experience - world shaking, a little scary, intense and very, very new.

At the time, I was meeting with my Mentor, Edy Kaufmann. He is an inspiring man, working on conflict management and particularly active in Israel/Palestine. We had a fascinating discussion about possible applications of my project - so much so that the earthquake caused merely a change in location for the meeting. I came away fizzing with new ideas, as I have done with every encounter.

Now, too early in the morning, I am reflecting on how my week (only a week!) has shaken my world in so many wonderful ways. I have begun to see how many people are working in innovative ways on managing and resolving conflict, and how much South Africa is admired for its model. My belief in the desperate need to teach these skills to school students, and the importance of real, relevant education generally, has been bolstered by the interest we have been getting from people and organisations.

Academically and professionally my world is being shaken - a necessary thing to avoid the inevitable intellectual rut and this is just Orientation Week - I feel larger mental earthquakes are on their way, and I am so looking forward to them.

My world is also being lightly shaken by my personal interactions. Drinking mate (it's bitter and lovely), being taught to belly-dance (I'm VERY bad at it), being surrounded by different accents and life experiences and backgrounds but all with one thing to link us - a passion for education and an abiding belief that through our actions we can do good in the world.

I like it when the world shakes; it needs it.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your blog - you write beautifully! How lucky you are to have Prof. Kaufman as your mentor - he was incredibly helpful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are there any other small at tattooed deadlocked girls anywhere?

    Social Media Campaigns and Management at Kadabra SEO

    ReplyDelete